Prototrak Mills are probably the most versatile tool in the shop. They can run full 3axis from a Cad/cam program for complex parts or use the handles for quick jobs. The Prototrak Mill is an invaluable tool in any shop. They add amazing capability in a small footprint at a fraction of the cost.
Programming parts on the SMX controller is a breeze with its graphical user interface. For more complex 3d parts I use Bobcad. If you haven’t wirked with Bobcad before, its an affordable cad/cam option. Don’t let the price fool you into thinking it’s a lightweight program. Bobcad is a powerful cad/cam solution that offers performance of packages costing many times its price. Bobcad offers different modules for your needs, from basic 2 axis up to advanced multi axis machining. I have the basic 2 axis lathe and 3 axis mill modules in my shop and it suits my needs just fine.
Prototrak DPM SX3P Mill Features
- ProtoTRAK SMX CNC integrated into the machine at the factory
- 5 hp continuous spindle motor
- NMTB 40 spindle taper and almost 4″ of quill diameter
- Solid ram moves along the column providing mass for heavy cuts
- Generous Z-axis CNC travel
- Strong and rigid
- Efficient for any job: manual, 2-axis CNC or 3-axis CNC
- Standard electronic head for programmable spindle speeds and tapping
- Precision ground ballscrews installed in the table, saddle and column
- Manual quill with integrated quill and ram encoders
- Wide way surfaces are hardened and ground, slideways are Turcite®coated
- Real handwheels so you can work manually
With a 50″ x 10″ table and 31″ x 17″ x 23.5″ travels, this machine easily handles all of my projects. My machine has the optional table guard installed which is incredibly helpful when running full coolant. It keeps the coolant on the table and stops it from splashing all over the floor. The guard also has two clear safety doors in the from allowing easy access to the worktable.
The Protrak machines are a great way for the small shop to add cnc capacity as well as large shops for quick one off jobs.